FieldScout TruFirm Turf Firmness Meter
FieldScout TruFirm Turf Firmness Meter
Keep Your Greens Firm, Fast, and Consistent
- Measures golf course turf conditions for firm and fast play
- Portable, easy-to-use design
- Bluetooth capabilities for instant analysis
Based on technology developed by the USGA, the FieldScout TruFirm offers a quick, easy, and affordable method to measure the firmness of turf and bunker sands. Data acquired from the device allows golf course superintendents and sports turf managers the ability to take appropriate actions to reach the desired firmness of golf course greens, fairways, and bunkers, as well as other playing surfaces.
The primary objective for the development of the TruFirm is to improve championship-caliber playability by cultivating greens that are both firm and fast. By measuring the relationship between the compaction of the soil and the moisture level, greenkeepers are able to ensure healthy, aesthetically-pleasing greens that offer exceptional playability. Objective data measurements allow turf management professionals to balance the fine line between soil moisture and firmness, which can challenge even the most experienced experts in the industry.
The patented TruFirm system utilizes a hemisphere-shaped impact hammer that mimics the shape of a golf ball to better simulate golf ball impacts. The mass is dropped from a consistent height and the maximum turf penetration value is recorded and correlated to the surface firmness — the lower the penetration value, the firmer the turf.
- Measure golf course turf conditions for consistent playability
- Objective data measurements allow turf management professionals to balance the fine line between soil moisture and firmness
- Evaluate trends and monitor sections of turf relative to one another
- Easy-to-use design provides instantaneous measurements
- Logged data can be sent via Bluetooth to a mobile/handheld Android device for plotting specific greens or other surfaces
- Lightweight design results in an easily portable device without the need for extra parts
- Includes soft-sided carrying case
Common applications for TruFirm include:
• Golf course greens for better playing conditions and fewer ball marks
• Fairway landing areas for longer drives
• Green approach areas for chip and run play
• Bunker sands for surface firmness
Introducing the new FieldScout Mobile App
Use the FieldScout Mobile app to instantly collect and display data on your smart phone or tablet, from your Bluetooth enabled FieldScout TDR 300 Soil Moisture Meter or FieldScout TruFirm Firmness Meter. The app allows you to see and email information on a grid of zones (3 wide by 3 deep).
- Collects data from FieldScout TDR 300 Soil Moisture Meter (Bluetooth device required) and FieldScout TruFirm Turf Firmness Meter using Bluetooth Smart connection
- Uses your smart phone for time-stamping and geo-referencing the data
- On-the-go means of collecting data from FieldScout meters
- Color coded to represent a scale of turf firmness or moisture
- Eliminates the need for a computer, cable, and GPS accessory
- Visualize readings in real-time
- E-mail relevant information
- Compatible with iOS and Android smart phones and tablets, device requires Bluetooth Smart Ready
- Free download from App Store or Google Play (see links below), Pro version requires a SpecConnect subscription (see more information here)
All TruFirm models include a soft-sided carrying case.
Item 6490, FieldScout TruFirm Turf Firmness Meter Base model without Bluetooth, can be upgraded to include Bluetooth or you can also upgrade an older TruFirm Meter to Bluetooth Smart to work with the FieldScout Mobile App. Please purchase Item 6491S.
Power: 2 AA batteries (included)
Weight: 4.3 lb (1.95 kg)
Height: 27 in (69 cm)
Diameter of Hammer: 1.68 in (4.45 cm)
Measurement Units: Depth of travel (inches)
Range: 0.1 in – 1.5 in
Resolution: 0.01 in at 1.00 in – 1.50 in (0.25 mm at 25.4 mm – 38.1 mm)
0.003 in at 0.00 in – 0.999 in (0.076 mm at 0 mm – 25.4 mm)
Display: LCD Display