FieldScout SC 900 Soil Compaction Meter (Penetrometer)
Help make decisions regarding areas of the field that require tillage, changes to crop rotation, and planting of cover crops
- Includes 1/2 in and 3/4 in cone tip
- Takes compaction readings to a depth of 18 in (45 cm)
- Exclusive ultrasonic depth sensor captures readings in 1 in (2.5 cm) increments
- Penetration resistance measured by internal load cell
- Compaction data is displayed in PSI or kPa (1 psi = 6.9 kPa)
- Connects to any GPS receiver with serial output option*
- Equipped with internal data logger and RS-232 port
- Records 772 measurements (579 with added GPS/DGPS option)
- Configure and download meter with FieldScout® software and USB-to-3.5mm-Stereo-Plug Adapther (Item 3661U.(included)**
- Compatible with SpecConnect - view contour maps of compaction at each depth, or an "ocean floor" map showing the depth of the compaction layer.
- Includes carrying case and depth target
NEW FEATURES ADDED IN 2012 - The SC 900 meter now includes the brand new 3/4" cone tip, as well as improved handling of insertion errors. The 3/4" tip is appropriate for coarse soils. These new features took effect with units shipped after January 1, 2012. Meters acquired prior to 2012 can be upgraded by purchasing the SC900 Upgrade Package (Item #6110FSUP, see purchase table above). The upgrade includes a microcontroller chip with updated firmware, a 3/4" cone tip, new depth target, and updated User's Manual. See Additional Features of SC900 Digital Compaction Meter for more details.
GPS Recommendation: Garmin GPS 73 Handheld GPS Navigator - Purchase through Amazon.com
The GPS 73 is a low-cost solution designed to provide precise GPS positioning using correction data obtained from the Wide Area Augmentation System (WAAS). The GPS 73 can provide position accuracy to less than three meters when receiving WAAS corrections. This rugged, waterproof, unsinkable GPS receiver offers a large, 4-level grayscale screen. It's designed as the next generation in basic, entry-level Garmin GPS.
* GPS interface requires two cables. The GPS/DGPS cable (Item 2950CV5) is available from Spectrum. A PC serial interface cable supplied by the manufacturer of the GPS receiver is also required.
** PC cable connects to a computer USB port